The Club is running two development squads for our junior members this season.
This is our most prestigious junior program, it is designed for kids who want to take their sailing further beyond just club racing and for those wanting to compete at State, National and World Championships.
The pathway through to the Youth Squad is through the Learn To Race program and through completing a Level 3 qualification in Dinghy Sailing. Participants who want to get into this squad will be observed throughout the season based around simple criteria.
• Results (Club Racing, ACT Youth Championships, ACT Dinghy Championships)
• Participation (Regularly attending Tuesday Nights and Saturday Club Racing)
• Maturity (Able to demonstrate a level of maturity to maximise their time in the squad)
• Valued Club Member (helping out with learn to sail courses, helping out with club events and boat maintenance)
The kids in this squad have a great deal of fun and there is the opportunity for some great experiences. It is a great place to improve your sailing and a stepping stone to producing the future champions of our sport and club.
7-12 Learn to Race/Better sailing squad
Our Learn To Race programs for both Adults and Kids is a great place to start sailing with the YMCA Sailing Club. Once students have completed their level 2 in one of our Learn To Sail courses they will be invited to join one of our Learn To Race Squads.
We have a great pathway within the sailing club that enables anyone to get into the sport, improve their sailing and racing and move through the steps the club has in place.
• Learn To Sail (Discover Sailing Level 2)
• Learn To Race Squad
• Tuesday Twilight
• Saturday Racing
• Discover Sailing Level 3
• Youth Squad (for Kids under 18)
• High Performance Sailing i.e State, National and World Championships
So if you have your level 2 and want to experience our great family friendly environment with a great social side, start your sailing pathway here.
Better Sailing Courses
The Better Sailing Course (Discover Sailing Level 3) allows a sailor who has completed a Level 2 certificate and sailed consistently for at least half a season to improve their skills. The course introduces sailors to spinnakers and trapezes, navigation buoys, wind on the lake, sea breezes and other more advanced sailing techniques.
The course is open to adults and juniors who are selected to participate and runs over two weekends. It includes free participation in Club races on Saturday afternoon. Enthusiastic juniors who successfully complete the course will have the skills to begin sailing as a forward hand on a 125 and are eligible to be invited to join the Club’s junior racing squad. Adults who successfully complete the course will have the skills to join one of the Club’s Sharpie crews.
• Yachting Australia Discover Sailing Level 2 Certificate.
• At least 3 months consistent sailing experience, including Saturday afternoon club racing.
• Participation is by invitation based on skill levels and sailing experience